Monday 18 November 2013

My standards probably aren't...standard.

The next scheduled entry here will be Another Perfect Blonde (due on Friday), but in the meantime I have some "issues" with Blogger which might be worth sharing.  It's hard to judge with any certainty, because I haven't used the interface for a few years, and there's often a disconnection between my take on things and all the perceived wisdom on such matters (hence the title of this post).  Nevertheless, since I'm now unable to promise that the changes made to the Blogger Dashboard won't impact upon my content here at some future point, there's some justification to highlighting my chief concerns - as a warning, if nothing else.

The emphasis given to blog statistics, and a bloody great graph showing page views, are things I find both bizarre and distasteful.  Presumably there are people out there who care about these, but I'm not one of them.  It's an irrelevant distraction and, unfortunately, one that's impossible to remove from the interface.  Secondly, and arguably more indicative of the general wrongness now on show, quite high on the list of "helpful" links courtesy of Google is one pointing to information on how to make money from one's blog.  Good grief.  Is that what this lark has become?  It seems hopelessly at odds with both the guiding principles behind weblogging as was, and the utterly amateurish efforts which constitute 99% of people's output in this medium.  Having such pathetically self-absorbed and commercially tainted elements shoved in one's face upon logging-in seems grossly unsubtle and downright manipulative.

Hopefully, normality will resume on Friday, with an entry that wants neither your readership nor anyone's cash...  




 

2 comments:

  1. Tyger, I'm with you. The business of managing my content...shouldn't get in the way...of what I came here to do...write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even sure if it's possible to upload audio entries here, but emphatic punctuation is about as close as I can get in the meantime.

      Delete