Sunday 24 July 2016

Tempus Clausuris (7)

Part Seven:  Another truth installed by the machine.


"I can't believe how empty this train is," said Sara, looking up and down the carriage from her aisle seat.  "Did you check those other reservation tickets?"  Dikas shook his head, taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi and firing up her Mac.  "Well, I did, and they were all booked from King's Cross.  But look," she held up a hand, "There's nobody else here."
     "It's a matter of perception," said Dikas, "And what some might call a greater good."  He paused, taking in her blank expression.  "Put it this way, we're alone here - now - because we need to be, not because thirty eight other people apparently missed their train."
     Sara studied him.
     "I still haven't thanked you for dinner."
     "Not necessary."
     "Well, I knew you'd say that, but all the same, thank you.  You're a good cook."
     Dikas appeared to wince at the compliment, making her smile.
     "Assembly, combination, and treatment, Miss Ryland."
     "Whoa," she laughed, "Easy on the descriptive passion, there."  He frowned, not getting her intentional irony.  "If you ever write a recipe book, make sure you get a good editor."
     Even as she said it, she realised her unconscious error.  Hamlet without the Prince, she thought.  Damn it, that's what this is.
     "Something, someone we both know who could fulfil that role," sighed Dikas.  They shared a glance before he resumed typing.
     "Except that's the wrong tense, isn't it?  Present when it should be past."  Sara looked out at the suburban scenery, trying to make sense of the numerous conflicts going through her mind.  "Doing what he does.  When you and I first met, I was not in a good place."
     Dikas stopped typing and stared at her.
     "You doubted my reality?"
     "Well, yeah.  Initially.  I was on some pretty hardcore meds, and the connection was just so...random.  I mean, what are the odds?  And hitting me with that massive paradigm shift, and telling me that he'd changed..."
     Dikas was holding out a handkerchief to her.
     "You're crying, Miss Ryland."
     "I am?"  She reached up, suddenly aware of the moisture on her face.  "I am.  Well, there goes the fucking mascara."  She laughed, accepting the handkerchief.  "I'm sorry.  Sometimes the focus goes a little wonky, you know?  What the Hell are you working on, anyway?"
     Dikas flipped the Mac around to show her the screen.
     "I've been compiling notes on AktionHive's plans regarding the AV.  I don't think David Cutter will be significant, but I can see why our associate might want some leverage there."
     Sara raised an eyebrow.
     "Our...associate?  Is that what we're calling him?"
     "I didn't want to..."
     "It's okay, really.  Christ, until you showed up I thought he might be dead."
     "A more common shared belief than you might imagine," said Dikas, turning her laptop back around and resuming work.
     Wherever he is, thought Sara, I hope he's dealing with all this better than I am.


To be continued...
      

No comments:

Post a Comment